Submissions:2019/Understanding the technical challenges of small wikis in North America
- Understanding the technical challenges of small wikis in North America
- Relationship Building & Support
+ Inclusion and Diversity
+ Tech & Tools
Type of session:
Join us to discuss the technical challenges of small wikis in North America and solutions to address them!
Small wikis have specific technical needs to address their local case - for example, enabling extensions, developing user scripts or gadgets, bots, tools, etc. At this year’s Wikimania, one of the Hackathon focus themes and community booth discussions was around Small Wiki Toolkits. The goal of this focus area was to support wikis & their communities who don’t have many technical contributors and to help connect developers and editors.
This proposal intends to continue the discussions around the Small Wiki Toolkits theme to address the following questions:
- Which small wikis (e.g., indigenous wikis: Haitian Creole, Tagalog, Navajo, Cherokee, Papiamento, etc.) in the North American region might benefit from technical help?
- What do we already know about the technical challenges of the small wikis in the North American region?
- What solutions can we develop to help address these technical challenges?
The target audience for this session might be limited. If necessary, we could expand the discussion to large language community work on smaller sister projects.
Academic Peer Review option:
- Wikimedia Foundation
- 1 hour
Preferred room size:
- Space for 20 people
Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?:
If your submission is not accepted, would you be open to presenting your topic in another part of the program? (e.g. lightning talk or unconference session)