Submissions:2019/The Wikimedia Movement Strategy and You: What Are the Recommendations and What Can You Do About Them?
- The Wikimedia Movement Strategy and You: What Are the Recommendations and What Can You Do About Them?
- Relationship Building & Support
Type of session:
You may have heard that there were 9 international working groups https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups comprised of volunteers and staff from across our Movement, working over the past year and a half on various recommendations around thematic areas that will shape the future of our Wikimedia Movement.
You might even have heard that their recommendations were combined at a recent event, the Harmonization Sprint (event page https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Harmonization_Sprint), into a coherent set of recommendations on how to help the Movement achieve with diversity and inclusivity as the goals of Knowledge Equity and Knowledge as a Service.
Some of you may have participated in strategy salons or seen and commented on the first draft recommendations, shared with the public before Wikimania https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations.
Whether you answered Yes or No to these, you will likely have questions, thoughts, ideas, or reactions to them. Welcome to our session!!
This workshop has three components: 1) A brief presentation of what the recommendations are and how we got here, 2) An opportunity to discuss these recommendations with some of those who worked on them, and 3) The ability to react to and offer feedback on all of them in one location.
Some of these recommendations will likely change how the global Wikimedia Movement operates, and the more we can all understand what is being proposed and have our voices included, the more this will indeed be consistent with the Wiki Way of doing things. This is our intention for this workshop.
Academic Peer Review option:
- FULBERTfulbert.org & mpourzakiwikimedia.org
- FULBERT & MPourzaki (WMF)
- WMF Movement Strategy Core Team & Wikimedia NYC & Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group
- 90 minutes
Preferred room size:
- large -- enough room for a short 15 minutes slide presentation then space for large Post-Its around the room and for people to move around as they discuss in small, moving groups and add thoughts onto the Post-Its.
Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?:
- Yes - the Harmonization Sprint (Mehrdad) & Wikimania 2019 (Jeffrey)
If your submission is not accepted, would you be open to presenting your topic in another part of the program? (e.g. lightning talk or unconference session)