WCNA 2022/Indianapolis Meetup
WikiConference North America 2022 is the annual conference of Wikimedians from throughout North America. This year, the conference is being held virtually in conjunction with Mapping USA, November 11-12, 2022.
Indiana Wikimedians User Group is hosting a local meetup in Indianapolis on November 11-13, 2022 for any fully vaccinated for Covid-19 (including one booster) Wikimedians who wish to gather with us in person to watch and participate in online and offline activities. If you are presenting, we will have a setup so that you can present from our room in Indianapolis to the virtual conference stream.
We (User:Dominic, User:Jaireeodell, and User:JamieF) are working to establish the Indiana Wikimedians User Group to promote Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects and build community around the state of Indiana. Having an in-person meetup will give new editors and interested individuals an opportunity to see what Wikipedia is all about, see what others in North America are up to, and meet local editors. Indiana is fairly central to other Midwestern states/cities and we hope everyone feels welcome to join us in Indiana to edit, collaborate, and hang out!
The WCNA schedule is still shaping up. We have set up Ashby Browsing Room at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis Library with a large screen for viewing WCNA programming and microphones/camera for anyone who may be presenting during the conference and would like to do so from the meet up.
We will plan evening group activities to take in some of local Indianapolis flair. As plans are finalized, we will post more here. Please check back! If you have anything in particular you would like to do, or suggest, please post on the Discussion page.
- Thursday: If you'll be in town Thursday night, please contact Jamie (talk page is fine). A few of us are doing airport pickup/dinner-- our plan is flexible currently but we'll firm it up as we know more folks are coming.
- Friday: (Still planning)
- Saturday: At 5pm, we will head to The Garage Food Hall to socialize and have dinner together. The Garage is located in the Bottleworks District has multiple dining and drink options and lots of seating. We can explore The Bottleworks together too, which includes a variety of drink and activity options.
Our activities during the Conference will be based in Ashby Browsing Room at IUPUI Library, 755 W. Michigan St., Indianapolis, IN 46202. (See the map to the right.) We have the Room reserved for the entire day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
There is a Conference downtown until Friday the 11th. Many hotels are currently full, but open up that Saturday. There is ample availability by the airport and in other parts of the city, we would be happy to help folks get around the city if they have to stay further out.
If you feel comfortable, we do have some beds available with the organizers for free. Just let us know.
Some nearby hotels:
- Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown ($129-$160 USD)
- Hampton Inn ($185-$210 USD)
- Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown ($230-$260 USD)
Please bring a laptop and power adapter, if you can. We have limited access to additional laptops if needed. (Please let us know.) The conference room is equipped with a camera, projector, large screen, and HDMI cord.
IndyGo is Indianapolis' bus transit system. The website has a trip planner to help you easily move around the city. Day passes are $4 and 2 hour tickets are $1.75.
Lyft & Uber are options around the city and local folks are willing to help attendees get around, too.
Attendees are required to be fully vaccinated (including at least one booster) for COVID-19, barring a valid medical reason. Attendees are encouraged to test before attending, and should not attend if positive for COVID-19.
Masks are not required for attendees, but are recommended. Masks and rapid tests will be provided for attendees who would like them.
Please sign up here if you're attending the meetup. We currently are not planning to have more formal registration but we will update should that change.
- JamieF (talk) 23:58, 9 October 2022 (UTC) - Full conference
- Dominic (talk) 01:39, 10 October 2022 (UTC)
- Antony-22 (talk) 20:06, 18 October 2022 (UTC)
- Jaireeodell (talk) 21:47, 25 October 2022 (UTC)
- ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 16:49, 26 October 2022 (UTC)
- Olgrmac (talk) 20:17, 4 November 2022 (UTC)